MCO101 - Medical Coding Specialist Certificate (Online)
Course OverviewUNC Charlotte’s Medical Coding Specialist Certificate Program offers in-depth training that will equip students with the necessary knowledge and skills needed to pursue a new career, re-enter the workforce, or refresh and broaden current skills. Properly trained medical coding specialists perform the coding tasks that support the processing of medical billings, implement proper reporting of transactions, and support secure health information management.
Medical coders assign a code to each diagnosis and procedure by using classification systems software. The classification system determines the amount for which healthcare providers will be reimbursed if the patient is covered by Medicare, Medicaid, or other insurance programs using the system. Coders may use several coding systems, such as those required for ambulatory settings, physician offices, or long-term care.
Individuals interested in pursuing medical coding employment, changing job skills to move into a medical office records environment, or pursuing the skills necessary to become a Certified Medical Coder.
Individuals wanting to make a career change or pursue employment in the healthcare industry and a medical records environment
- Individuals working in the healthcare industry
- Individuals working for insurance companies
- Individuals working for third-party administrator and self-insured organizations
- Existing insurance claims processors
- Individuals from the healthcare field that have the desire to increase their medical coding knowledge and skills
- Individuals with the desire to prepare and become a Certified Medical Coder
Course Work includes:
- Introduction to Medical Coding / Healthcare Information Documentation
- Diagnosis Coding
- Procedure Coding
- Coding Guidelines and Processes for Out-Patient / In-Patient Services.
On completion of the program, students will:
- Have the ability to analyze health records and assign codes for diseases, diagnosis, and procedures.
- Have the ability to abstract key information from health records for reimbursement, statistics, and research purposes.
- Have an understanding of the ethical and professional standards expected of Medical Coding professionals.
- Have an understanding of the importance of maintaining a high level of accuracy and accountability when performing medical coding documentation.
- Understanding of processes and procedures of medical record administration and documentation.
- Have the necessary education that will qualify students to sit for numerous national “certification” exams
After successful completion of the program, graduates are eligible to take numerous national coding certification exams. Students pursuing certification must apply directly with the organization that governs the certification of interest.
- American Academy of Professional Coders (CPC, CPC-H, or CPC-P) Website: www.aapc.com
- American Health Information Management Association (CCS or CCS-P) Website: www.ahima.org
Job prospects and career advancement in healthcare careers is very good. The May 2021 average salary in North Carolina for Medical Records Specialists (29-2072) was $43,950. Employment of health information technicians is projected to grow 9 percent from 2020-2030, faster than the average for all occupations, because of an aging population and the need to organize and manage health information data.
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics
For more information regarding a recent medical coder salary survey, visit the AAPC website.
- Information on required textbooks for the program will be provided to registered students.
- Students will be able to purchase textbooks directly from vendors. The estimated cost of textbooks is $350-$400 depending on where you purchase.
- High School Diploma (or equivalent) is required
- Computer Applications: Prospective students should be able to operate basic computer applications
- Required Reading: Technical Specifications
Applies To The Following Certificate
- Medical Coding Specialist Certificate : Required
For More Information
Next Start Date
August 2, 2023
MCO 101 Course Schedule