UNC Charlotte offers a Paralegal Certificate program like no other in the Charlotte region. Our program is topical, intensive, and intellectually rigorous. We have designed our program to fit the needs of the Charlotte legal and business communities. Open yourself up to a variety of opportunities and increase your earning potential with a Paralegal Certificate. Our goal is to equip our graduates with the skills, knowledge, and abilities they need to embark on their careers with professionalism and acumen.
The North Carolina State Bar Board of Paralegal Certification has designated the UNC Charlotte Paralegal Certificate Program as a qualified paralegal studies program. Graduation from the Certificate Program will satisfy the educational requirements for certification as a paralegal by the Board; graduates will be eligible to sit for the exam to become Certified Paralegals.
- Interview Practicum: Students hear valuable interview techniques from a professional legal interviewer, receive advice on resumes and portfolios, and have mock interviews for a fictional law firm.
- A set schedule ensuring a definite graduation date.
- Complete the Certificate in only 6 months.
- Materials upon which we can stake our reputation. Class curriculum is designed by instructors that are experts in their field.
- Strong ties to the Charlotte legal community. Many of our graduates find jobs in Charlotte; our instructors work in Charlotte and we are affiliated with Charlotte, state, and national organizations.
- The program is taught entirely real-time in a virtual environment. Class sessions are Tuesday/Thursday from 6-9:30p.
EMSI reports that the Charlotte region is a "hotspot" for paralegal jobs which means a higher than average supply of jobs may make it easier for workers in this field to find employment in the area.
In the Charlotte region, EMSI shows a medium advertised salary of $49,791 for Paralegals and Legal Assistants.
Job Posting Board
In addition, students enrolled in the program, and program graduates, are eligible for access to the UNC Charlotte Continuing Education Paralegal Facebook group which lists job postings we receive from area employers. While UNC Charlotte does not offer job placement services, area employers are encouraged by the Paralegal Program Director to list their paralegal-related job openings on our Facebook group. The program makes this service available to employers free-of-charge in order to provide our students with up-to-date information about these employment opportunities.
Legal Writing Lab
We believe excellent writing is an essential paralegal skill. Therefore, the UNC Charlotte Paralegal Certificate Program has made a commitment to its students by offering additional instruction with our legal writing instructors. In these labs, students will have the opportunity to receive candid feedback and helpful insight on ways to improve their writing.
All students will also receive a personal LexisNexis account.
All of the instructors in the UNC Charlotte Continuing Education Paralegal Certificate Program are specialists and currently working in their fields. Check out their profiles here.
The Paralegal Certificate Program is for individuals in pursuit of a second career, recent college graduates and working professionals who want to enter the legal field, and working paralegals who want to obtain a North Carolina State Bar-qualified paralegal certificate from an accredited University.
- An associate degree is required for admission to the program. You will need to submit a transcript to email@example.com documenting the awarding of your undergraduate degree either with your registration or as soon as possible thereafter. We will not be able to confirm your registration in the program until we have received your transcript. An unofficial transcript is acceptable.
- Proficient in English. Students are required to be proficient in their oral and written use of the English language.
- Basic computer/technology skills and access to a computer outside of the classroom.View hardware, software, and connectivity requirements.
- In order to receive the UNC Charlotte Paralegal Certificate, students must earn a grade of C or better in each topic area.
- Instructors will award grades on the basis of tests, homework, papers, and/or other assignments, and attendance policies.
- Students completing the Certificate requirements will be awarded a UNC Charlotte Paralegal Program Certificate.
- Graduates will be eligible to sit for the NC State Bar Paralegal Certification examination. (If you have a criminal conviction, please contact the North Carolina State Bar - Paralegal Certification to find out if you can sit for the exam prior to registering.)